Currently under construction in our neighborhood is Continuum, located at 199 North Harvard Street, Allston.
Continuum is designed to be different. It’s bold, smart, comfortable and modern. From each of the 325 apartments to the lush roof garden, the streetside shops to the 24-hour concierge, it’s all crafted as a seamless blend of luxury and convenience.
Check out this great video of their construction progress!
Use of the Speedway declined throughout the 1940’s as the automobile gained in popularity. While still used by the Metropolitan Driving Club into the 1950s, fewer and fewer people maintained horses and buggies for recreational racing. The Speedway was razed in the late 1950s or early 1960s and the land subsumed by Soldiers Field Road, which became divided highway with a parallel service road at its south side. The busy roadway effectively separated the Charles River Speedway Administration Building from the rest of the reservation, removing the building from its historic and landscape context.
In 1970, the Metropolitan District Commission altered the administrative structure for reservations, separating the police from the administration and maintenance functions. Between 1970 and 1991, the primary function of the MDC Police was law enforcement, with administrative and maintenance activities taken over by parks and recreation supervisors and a new maintenance support unit. The MDC police was merged into the State Police in 1991.
The Charles River Speedway Administration Building was occupied by the Metropolitan District Commission until c.1990, when its offices were moved to the nearby Almy’s building at 1400 Soldiers Field Road, which had been purchased by the Commonwealth in 1987. Although all MDC functions had been removed from the building, the Administration Building remained under the agency’s administrative control. The Superintendent’s Residence housed a residential tenant until the mid-2000s. The MPC Police Headquarters building was occupied by offices of the Massachusetts Access Board and the Massachusetts Department of Fish and Game.
The Metropolitan District Commission was merged with the Department of Environmental Management in 2003 to create the Department of Conservation and Recreation. DCR’s Division of Urban Parks and Recreation managed the Charles River Speedway Administration Building. Now that it is part of DCR’s curatorship program and Architectural Heritage Foundation is working on plans to rehabilitate the site, there is a new wave of use coming to the Speedway Building