Exchange Place’s interior is, if anything, even more surreal. A five-story atrium of marble, pink granite, and glass was built on the site of the original Congress Street lobby, physically and architecturally linking the tower with the historic façade. Moreover, while most of the Stock Exchange was razed (except for the small State Street and Kilby Street lobbies), the architects saved the grand staircase and reconstructed it precisely on its 1891 location. For many years, the staircase was purely ornamental, ascending to a blank wall, but now it leads to the offices of The Boston Globe. The atrium’s juxtaposition of old and new is a thoughtful response to the shortcomings of façadism. While the loss of the Stock Exchange building is a preservation tragedy, the architects’ sensitivity to the site’s history and design is evident upon entrance.